1) frozen meat is magnitudes easier to slice with the slicing machine. But it does an amazing job of slicing really thin slices.
2) Thin meat should be treated the same way as you do with a hot pot. Pop it in, as soon as it's no longer red, pull it back out. I overcooked it slightly again this time, although it's better than last time, as the meat is thinner.
3) Onions are tasty. I need to add more.
4) I used 2 lbs of meat with the recipe. It involved 4 cups of dashi, 10 tbsp. of soy sauce (7 / 3 :: darker korean soy sauce / lighter mirim soy sauce), 1 tbsp of sugar (I RAN OUT! WTF ate all of my sugar!), 7+ tbsp of mirin rice wine, and no sake. (Didn't have any, didn't want to go buy more)
5) Total prep time is probably close to 1.5 hours. However, I now have enough to last me at least one, if not 2+ dinners.